Thursday, October 27, 2011

Symbolic Herb Jewelry


Custom sterling silver quote stick
pendants with symbolic herb charms.

New at Allie M. Designs

Introducing a new unique line of symbolic herb jewelry.  Let me show you a few photos and then explain.......






This sterling silver dill charm (above) is as sweet as can be. The dill really stands out in the clear 3 layer resin. The bezel is sterling silver, which can also be made in brass.  The mustard seed charm (above) is set in a sterling silver bezel (without a backing) also, with 3 layers of resin. 



Every herb has a symbolic meaning.  Yes, this is true.  My love of herbs and their symbolism all started when one of my customers came to me and said "Do you have any mustard seed charms?"  Then my headed starting spinning from when I had first started doing jewelry and used colored and clear resin.  My love for clear resin far reaches that of colors.  Colors is very difficult to work with.....that is without actually having the resin contained in a actual bezel with a back.  As my new work shows many of these herbal pieces do not have bezel backs they simply have a wall in which the resin and the herb rest.  Do not think that the resin is poured in and is just contained by gravity.  I use a thick clear tape and set the bezel onto the tape which then (most of the time) secures the bezel so that the resin will not leak out.  Of course, there are times that the resin leaks out and I have a mess on my hands after the curing process.  If I catch it within 24 hours it seems easier to clean up then waiting several days. 

Anyway, getting on with herbs and their meanings.  There are 100 plus herbs out there and I have only dappled with a few of them.  Here are the herbs and their meanings for which I have researched.

Bronze mustard seed "faith"
with crystal charm.
Mustard Seed - Faith

Basil- Love, Wealth, Protection
Chamomile- Money, Sleep, Love, Purification

Cinnamon- Spirituality, Success, Healing, Power, Protection, Love

Clove- Protection, Love, Money
Dill- Protection, Money, Luck
Ginger- Love, Money, Success, Power

Lavender- Love, Protection, Sleep, Longevity, Purification, Happiness, Peace

Poppy- Fertility, Sleep, Dreams, Money, Luck

Rosemary- Protection, Love, Mental Powers, Purification, Healing, Sleep, Youth

Sage- Immortality, Longevity, Wisdom, Protection, Wishes, Home Blessings

Thyme- Health, Healing, Love, Purification, Courage




Sterling silver poppy seed earrings. These are great
little studs.  Approximately 5mm.  The poppy seeds
look like little microorganisms.

 
 Sterling silver mustard seed charm. 



I will be posting more photos and herb meanings as I continue to develop the symbolic herb collection.  Please stay tuned.  Also check out http://www.etsy.com/shop/alliem1 & www.alliem.com for products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment